There are many questions that must be answered before we can return to our normal lives after the pandemic subsides. Unfortunately, most questions have no answers at this time. This makes decisions nearly impossible for the authorities and individuals alike.
This blog has expressed skepticism about the timing of getting back to normalcy on numerous occasions. Every sensible individual on Earth is still distancing, using masks in public, quarantining and isolating. The reason for these precautions is that the virus is still wreaking havoc on our society. Thousands of people are still testing positive and too many are dying. The aforementioned actions are the only defensive tools we have until a vaccine is discovered and proven safe.
The following is a list of questions that are on most people’s minds. It is not complete, but it covers most concerns. Given that information flowing from our leaders and health experts is choppy, incomplete and tilted because of the impending elections, it is difficult to have confidence relating to new initiatives or a return to normalcy.
Not in any order of importance, here are the questions that so many of us are pondering:
- When will a vaccine be produced that can safely be used with confidence?
- Under what circumstances will we send our children back to school?
- When can we safely go back to our offices to work?
- Is public transportation safe?
- For how long will we need to use masks outside of our homes?
- When will restaurants open without restrictions distancing requirements?
- When will health clubs open?
- When will we be able to safely visit elderly relatives and friends without endangering their lives?
- Are elevators safe to use?
- When will it be safe to fly commercially?
- What are the key metrics that will indicate that the pandemic is ending?
- When will we be able to go to our beaches?
- When will it be safe to go to concerts, ball games, theater and movies?
- When will all states be safe to travel to?
- Can we get sick from the virus more than once?
- Will everyone be immunized?
- How long will it take to immunize every American?
- What will happen if some Americans refuse to be immunized?
- Who will pay for the immunizations?
- When will it be safe to travel internationally?
As stated previously, this is not a complete list. And, most of the questions are unanswerable at this time. We must continue to demand transparency from our leaders to make sensible and measured decisions for our families and businesses.