By Sal Bommarito
Liberals are scrambling to justify U.S. nuclear negotiations with Iran. Thankfully, these entreaties are falling on many deaf ears. Nicholas Kristof, in his New York Times op-ed, is the latest to make a case for a deal with Iran.
The most important assumptions being made by Obama apologists are the following:
- Iran will develop a nuclear bomb whether the U.S. supports a treaty or not.
- Iran would be a responsible possessor of a nuclear weapon.
- Iran will never employ a nuclear weapon because the U.S. and/or Israel will retaliate.
- Iran will not cheat or violate provisions of a new treaty.
- Iran will allow unfettered inspections of its nuclear operations.
- Iran will become a more productive participant in the international community of nations if it owns a nuke.
- Iran’s leaders are not radical Islamists determined to kill non-believers.
- Sanctions and low oil prices will not have a long-term impact on Iran.
Iran has been working on a nuclear bomb for many years. Israel would probably be the first to know if Iran had achieved its objective, so it is likely that Iran is some distance from producing a DELIVERABLE weapon. Sanctions and dramatically lower oil revenues could hamper production of a bomb for a long time especially if the country is destabilized by economic turmoil.
How could any sensible person conclude that Iran will be responsible if it possessed a nuclear weapon? Iran is the greatest purveyor of terrorism in the Middle East and has worked diligently to topple Sunni states. It would use a nuke to bully other Arab countries. Moreover, Iran’s ownership of a bomb would cause an arms race in the region that includes Saudi Arabia and Turkey. The Middle East will become even more perilous if this occurs.
Iran has violated United Nations mandates for years. It will surely continue to cheat after signing a new treaty.
Numerous people have indicated that a nuclear weapon would make Iran a more constructive “global citizen” (Kristof reiterated this point). I don’t understand how ownership of a nuclear device that could possibly set off a world war and kill hundreds of thousands of people will improve the behavior of a rogue nation.
Iran has stated on numerous occasions that it detests all people except Shiite Arabs. That means it plans to kill non-believers whenever possible.
It’s been written and said many times that President Obama thirsts for an epic diplomatic achievement, a legacy issue. For this reason, he is prepared to make too many concessions. When all the details of the Iran treaty are revealed, I expect Congress, Democrats and Republicans, along with average Americans to be horrified with the proposed deal.