In a story on Monday, the New York Times surveyed the latest polls dealing with Biden’s voter satisfaction, or in his case voter dissatisfaction, and its impact on the impending presidential election. The results are astounding, and certainly support the predictions of Softball Politics. Biden is not going to run for president for a second time if the Times’ assessment is accurate.
Here is a short synopsis of the Times piece.
- 64% of Democratic voters prefer a new standard-bearer in the 2024 election.
- Biden received a 33% approval rating.
- Widespread concerns about the economy and inflation have turned the national mood dark both for Biden and the trajectory of the nation.
- Only 13% of American voters said the nation was on the right track.
- 2/3 of independents now disapprove of the president’s performance, half of them strongly so.
- Only 26% of Democratic voters said the party should re-nominate Biden in 2024.
- 94% of Democrats under the age of 30 prefer a different presidential nominee. One Democrat said she wants a president “who’s not knocking on death’s door.
- Jobs and inflation were important to 15% of voters.
- More than 75% of voters said the economy was extremely important, and only 1 percent said the economy is excellent.
As all this pertains to the presidential election, the survey showed that Biden would defeat Trump 44 to 41% in a head to head competition. One of Biden’s favorite expressions is “don’t compare me to the Almighty, compare me to the alternative.
In an earlier blog, I mentioned that I have outstanding wagers about whether Biden and/or Trump will run in 2024. My Biden bet is looking very good at this moment. Legal problems, personality problems and an inability to govern the US will prevent Trump from obtaining the Republican nomination.